My Friends

Monday, July 14, 2008

Blood donation trauma

Well, being the last few days of the holidays, a few of us decided to donate some blood in a clinic in Ringwood. So, we hopped on the bus heading there at about 1pm, & got there around 1.30pm. When we had had some lunch, we went to the clinic that was reasonably close by. So, when we got there, we hit some hurdles. Jing's uncle had signed the consent form, cause her parents aren't around. However, a PARENT is the only one who can really give consent. So, Jing wasn't allowed to donate blood. (sigh...). When we had filled up all the forms & answered the questions, we had to go into a room where someone checked our iron, hemoglobin and blood pressure levels. They did this by getting a sample of our blood by pricking our fingers with what i thought was a needle....it wasn't, cause the mark on my finger is a line!!! Anyways, Lachlan got out first & started giving his blood. His went rather smoothly. Aviel then went ahead, but his hemoglobin levels weren't high enough...so he couldn't donate. (Sheesh!!!) I went next. The nurse started looking for my veins on my left and right arms....SHE COULDN'T FIND ANY!!! So, she called 2 other nurses to check. The veins in my left arm were still M.I.A, but they sort of could feel one on my right arm. So, a fourth nurse came over & gave it a look. She barely felt it, & decided to try anyways, cause i stupidly said that she could. When she put the needle in, she missed by a bit, cause it was so deep. Because of that, she had to adjust the needle a bit when it was IN MY ARM!!! DAMN!!! IT HURT LIKE HECK!!! Just when i thought that it was going better, my ever so smooth-flowing blood decided to stop flowing! I didn't even manage to get the blood all the way into the bag. Man, that was so sad. So, I obviously didn't end up donating any blood. Next to me, Ben and Hannah.S were sitting in their chairs trying to lower their heart rates. Ben felt sick when they started getting his blood, so they had to stop, & fan him, whilst covering him with wet cloths. However, Hannah was successful in donating her blood with no other complications. All in all, it was a rather sad day where only 2 of us got to donate blood out of 6 people who went. SIGH...

No comments: